Helpline: 0330 159 1588  09.00 - 17.00  | 

Certificate of Destruction - Do you need it?

Certificate of Destruction (CoD) is a document issued by DVLA to a registered Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). Legally, all cars recycled by an ATF must be issued with a CoD. 

Lots of people are confused about what documentation they need when they sell a car for scrap or salvage. We’re not surprised, because there is a lot of contradictory material out there, some of which has been provided by DVLA themselves. 

Find out how to scrap your car using the log book

Certificate of Destruction

If you take a look at the ‘Your Responsibilities as the Registered Keeper’ section on the V5C, you will be able to see for yourself. In the *Scrapping your vehicle sub-section, it clearly states:
‘If you do not receive a CoD immediately please fill in section 9 of the V5C and send to DVLA.’ 



On the reverse of Section 9/V5C/3 (below) it says: ‘You cannot use the V5C to tell us you have scrapped your vehicle’ 

V5C section 9

However, if you visit the DVLA website It states:

"You can only get an authentic Certificate of Destruction (CoD) from an ATF. You could still be liable for traffic offence penalties or vehicle tax if you don’t have a CoD when your vehicle’s scrapped"

DVLA website 

Make your mind up, DVLA!   

One minute you say you need a CoD and we can’t use the V5C and in the next paragraph you tell us to fill in section 9 of the V5C. And then, if the ATF chooses not to provide a CoD they don't have to? Confused?

If you actually speak to DVLA, their message is quite clear – when you sell a car for scrap or salvage, they need to be notified, so that you are no longer the registered keeper in their records. To do this, you can return Section 9 of the V5C or notify them in writing. Lets just hope DVLA receive either section 9 or your letter as if they don't, guess what they'll be asking for? yep you guessed it ...a COD!

We called DVLA for more information and they told us that if you are selling your car for scrap all you need to do is:

Make sure the company that collects your car completes Section 9 of the V5C and hands it over to you. Section 9 is the yellow section on the top of the third page of the V5C document. 

You then sign Section 9 and return it to DVLA. This notifies DVLA that you are no longer the registered owner of the vehicle and it has been sold to the motor trade. 

When the car is scrapped by the Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF), they have to produce a Certificate of Destruction (CoD). The CoD only applies to end of life vehicles (ELV).

But, you only get a CoD if the ATF actually decide to scrap and not sell it?

Still concerned about a CoD?

A CoD can only be issued by an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF), but they are only obliged to issue them if they actually scrap your car. DVLA allow ATFs to make the decision about whether your car is scrapped or repaired and sold on so if you require a Cod for any particular reason, make this clear when disposing of your car and ensure the company is ATF registered. Check the ATF Register

At Remove My Car, we operate a different policy – we prefer to give you the choice about what happens to your car and if you want a CoD, especially if you are scrapping your car with us on the basis that one of our ATF members are to scrap your vehicle and issue a CoD. But you will need to tell us you want a CoD up front, as scrapping your car will affect its value.


Top 5 FAQs

Q. Does RMC collect FREE of charge?
A. Yes, we collect FREE of charge
Q. Are there any costs what so ever?
A. Its a 100% FREE service
Q. How long does it take you to collect?
A. On average, within 48 working hours
Q. How do I get paid for my car?
A. Cheque Payment or Bank Transfer
Q. Are the payments Guaranteed?
A. Yes, you are protected by the Remove My Car Payment Guarantee

Cash Ban Due to SMDA 2013

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 replaced all previous legislation, but the big change was car breakers as well as scrap metal dealers weren't able to buy any scrap metal for cash, including vehicles. Companies also now have to take copies of the persons Photo ID and a recent utility bill. Want to know more? Read more HERE

Recycling News

Vehicle recycling specialist Remove My Car has had its ELV recycling target service recognised by the Government’s Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). 

RMC Payment Guarantee

If you dispose of your car through us, you'll also benefit from our payment guarantee for added peace of mind. Find out more at Why Choose Us

Head Office

Remove My Car Ltd  
Gemini House
Hargreaves Rd
SN25 5AJ 

RMC Promise

✔ No Transaction Fees
✔ FREE Collection on All Cars
✔ RMC Payment Guarantee
✔ Not share details with 3rd Parties 
✔ Offer a 100% Transparent service
✔ No Annoying Spam Emails or Text's

Scrap Metal Prices Falling

Yet again theres been further drops in metal prices, it's now the lowest in 6 years since the last crash in 2008/2009. Slowing economic growth in China is the biggest contribution for the fall in demand and its not looking to increase anytime soon!

New Road Tax Laws

From October 1 2014, motorists have no longer needed to display a paper tax disc in their windscreens. Instead they are asked to pay their road tax online, via the DVLA Website

Paper License to be Scrapped

Its now been confirmed as part of the government’s Red Tape Challenge initiative to remove unnecessary burden by Ministers, from 8 June 2015 DVLA will no longer be issuing the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence. Existing paper counterparts will be no longer valid and drivers are advised to destroy their counterpart after 8th June 2015. 

Latest Metal Prices

February 2016 Metal prices are significantly lower than any period within the past 6 years. Prices on average are £30 Per Tonne for light Iron. Lowest being around £20 Per Tonne and the highest being around £40 Per Tonne.

Quick Links

Call us on 0330 159 1588 or Let us call you