Remove My Car FAQ’s

Commonly Asked Questions

The person present at the time of collection will need to provide us with their own Photo I.D, and proof of address (Utility Bill/Bank Statement etc, that is less than 3 months old), the keys and, if possible, the V5C (log book). We may also ask for spare keys and any other paper work, such as service receipts and old MOTs.

The most common methods of payment available are Bank Transfer and Cheque Payment. Bank Transfers are usually cleared within 24 hours from the time of collection. Cheque Payments are issued on collection but can take a few days to clear with your bank. it will depend on your local collections team as to which payment method they can offer.

We can normally collect without the V5C, if you add in the comments once you accept 'V5C missing' the collection company can confirm when they contact you. It is important that the registered keeper notifies DVLA in writing that the vehicle has been scrapped/sold using the details from the driver on the day of collection. If you need details of which collection team collected your vehicle feel free to contact us by phone or via our online chat facility. The person present at the time of collection will have to provide Photo I.D and some form of address proof,recent Utility Bill/Bank statement, etc

Our recovery driver will complete and leave Section 9 of the V5C (or section 4 on the new V5C/logbooks issued in April 2019) (yellow section) with you which you will need to sign and send off to the DVLA. You will receive a confirmation letter from DVLA to confirm they have updated their details and you are no longer responsible for the vehicle within 4 weeks. Please be aware Remove My Car's company address should not be filled out on this section. if you do not have the V5C, you will need to send a letter to the DVLA instead and ask the driver to fill out your local teams address, or you can contact us and we can provide you with the correct address details.

In order to receive a tax refund you will need to inform DVLA that you have sold your vehicle. This can be done once the vehicle has been collected using the V5C (logbook) - section 9 or section 4 on the new logbooks issued in April 2019 (yellow section) which will be filled in on the day of collection by the driver, and handed back to you, you will need to send this to DVLA (we recommend recorded delivery). If you do not have the V5C, we advise you send a letter to DVLA using the address details of the collector to advise that you are no longer the registered keeper as of the day and time of the collection. For more information regarding the tax refund, please contact DVLA or visit

COD (certificate of destruction) is a certificate that can only be provided by a company that is registered as an ATF (authorised treatment facility). We only work with established and reputable registered ATF companies, so if you request a COD you will receive one. You can also be confident that your car will be recycled correctly and legally. However if you do not request a COD, the collection company can decide to repair and sell the vehicle on - also advised via the DVLA website

ELV stands for ‘End of Life Vehicle’. This is a vehicle that has reached the end of its life naturally through wear and tear. Cars that are ELVs because they are damaged beyond repair or uneconomical to repair are also known as ELVs, but technically they are premature ELVs.

You need to make us aware of the parts you have removed before you accept an instant quote or use the additional Info box when you accept. The collection company will contact you to advise if the price will change depending on which parts you have removed.

At Remove My Car all prices shown include free collection of your end of life vehicle.

If your vehicle is fairly local to where you live then you can still use your postcode to initially get the quote. If in doubt, use the postcode to where the car is located. either way, it is the collection address details we will need initially if you decided to accept any quotes from us.

Due to the SMDA 2013 (scrap metal dealers act 2013) scrap metal dealers and car breakers can no longer pay for vehicles using CASH and also need a copy of the photo I.D and proof of address (recent Utility Bill/Bank statement, etc) of the person there at the time of the collection.

See How Much Your Car Is Worth

Rated 4.9/5 from 12,720 reviews
Rated 4.9/5 from 12,720 reviews